Dispute Credit Report

Build Credit

Credit Repair

Dispute Credit Report Errors

To remove inaccurate information on your credit report, you can dispute credit report errors by simply writing to the credit bureau that reported the incorrect information telling them your name, address, social security number, date of birth and of course the creditor, account number and the reason for the dispute. If you prefer, you can generally go directly to the credit bureau websites and dispute inaccurate information contained in your credit report.

Section 1681(i.) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act states that any information appearing on a credit report that is disputed must be verified within a "reasonable amount of time." This generally means thirty (30) days. In other words, the credit bureaus have thirty (30) days to contact the creditor and validate that the information reported is correct or they must remove it from your credit report.

When you purchase your credit report it should include a free dispute form to assist you with correcting any inaccuracies. Be sure to send a separate dispute form to each bureau that is reporting inaccurate information.

home / establishing credit / credit awareness / credit repair / credit report / credit cards / bankruptcy
credit scoring / loans / credit resources / other resources / tools